[RP TownTalk] Questions : Floods and violent dogs.

Nancy ng_md at verizon.net
Mon Jul 3 21:24:43 UTC 2006

I can answer some of the flood questions, but the bits I can explain move
towards more questions.

Around every creek, river, run, stream, etc, there is a mapped "100-year
floodplain." At the time of mapping, the mapmakers calculated that over a
very long period of time, flooding that limit (that they calculated) an
average of once every hundred years. If your house is located within the
100-year floodplain, most jurisdictions require you to buy FEMA flood
insurance, and it comes into effect when the waterway overruns its banks.

A lot of homeowners' policies offer (usually) extra coverage for flooded
basements. I don't know if they cover excess rainwater; I know I have the
option of getting coverage for a backed up sewer line.

All that said, I would be very cautious about filing a claim unless there's
a darn lot of damage. Isn't homeowners' just like auto insurance: you put in
a claim and your premiums go up, or worse, they drop you?

Flooded basements happen under two types of circumstances that I know of.
First is when the rainwater coming down isn't carried away from the
periphery of your house effectively and it makes its way in.  The problem
can be gutters, grading that flows the water towards your house instead of
away, gaps along the foundation (as in when your tub isn't properly caulked
and the water comes down into your dining room); I'm sure there are other
circumstances.

Second is when water rises up from the water table, below.

How would improved stormwater management keep my basement from flooding?  I
got 6 inches.  I have a storm gutter right on my corner, and as long as I
was awake, I watched the water rushing right into it. It never pooled, never
flowed over the curb into my yard... Is there something I'm missing?

Nancy
Riverdale @ 46th