[RP TownTalk] Beall Circle

Bruce Wernek bruce.wernek at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 9 23:50:57 UTC 2006

Mary

Our Town is continually expected to make sacrifices for the financial
benefit of one development group or another.  This mantra of economic
development is not carte blanche for whatever a developer wants.  At one
time we had a vision for our Town, which I and others spent quite a bit of
time on.  Now it seems nothing is sacred.  I am happy that the Patriot Group
proposal has been taken off the table.  It would have paved the way for a
series of similar development efforts near the Town Center.  Hopefully, the
Patriot Group will come back with a proposal more in line with the MUTC
guidelines.  Parking in Bealle Circle will sacrifice a Town property with
historical significance for Potomac Development/Wacovia bank.  I don't have
a problem with the exisiting Potomac Development/Wacovia bank proposal so
why is it necessary to sacrifice Bealle Circle?  What are they offering in
exchange?  What concessions have they made?  Any good negotiation is a give
and take process.  Maybe I'm misinformed, but all I am aware of is "take" at
this point.  To sum it up, I am not in favor of a parking lot in Bealle
Circle.  What I am in favor of is the original vision, and that is for Town
green space at Bealle circle.  If I recall, this was in the original
proposal made by Potomac Development.  Have they somehow forgotten this?  If
they have, why hasn't anyone reminded them?

What time is the meeting tomorrow?

Bruce