[RP TownTalk] Patriot Group "Condominiums"

Lou King lking at knob.com
Fri Jun 9 18:58:30 UTC 2006

Roland Walker wrote:

> [rob oppenheim writes]
>
>> Again, I will vote no to 5-story buildings. I hope that the council
>> will turn this down. But if it passes, I expect to see it challenged
>> by a referendum.
>

> I'm afraid you misunderstand the charter.  A referendum would not be
> legally possible.  Article 2, section 211 provides for challenging a
> town *ordinance*.  The upcoming vote will not concern an ordinance.

Not to get in a Dictionary throwing contest, but I think I understood
what Rob was saying.  If I may be so bold as to paraphrase what I heard
Rob say:

"I hope that the council will turn this down. But if it passes, I expect
to see..." the voters of Riverdale Park
1) call to task those members of the council that have not voted in a
way as to reflect the apparent wishes of the residences (as voiced
during M-UTC meetings) and the intent of the mandatory requirements of
the M-UTC developed over several years and City administrations.
and
2)  other actions be they recall, referendum, voter initiative, actions
with the county zoning board or what ever so that 5-story buildings are
not placed in the middle of the town historic core.

JMHO