[RP TownTalk] pre-purchases of local condominiums

The Curries the.curries at verizon.net
Sat Jun 17 03:28:41 UTC 2006

Thanks for your kind comments, Roland.  I don't take positions on Riverdale
Park issues but once in awhile make a comment when I think a piece of
factual information might be helpful in furthering the discussion.  (By the
way, I'm nearly always impressed by the quality of argumentation on both
sides of any issue on this listserv.)  In this case, I had a feeling that
you were treating townhouses and condos as similar products, but wanted to
make sure that others on the list understood that EYA is not selling
multifamily units in its first phase, such as Patriot is proposing to do.

I think there are some legal distinctions between townhouse developments
with homeowner associations and condominiums that are designed to look like
attached single-family homes (as some are these days) -- for instance, the
fact that homeowner associations generally are responsible for upkeep of
common areas but not the structures themselves.  They are certainly treated
differently in zoning.

However, my point is that in terms of the housing market, attached
single-family homes and fee-simple multifamily units are distinct segments.
Certainly some homebuyers will see both townhouses and condos as options,
but I know plenty of people also who, for example, live in a multifamily
condo now and are looking to move into a townhouse (or a single-family
detached house) as the next step in their housing track.  Conversely, there
are cases of empty nesters looking to move to a multifamily condo because of
decreased need for space and a desire for a lower-maintenance lifestyle.

I think some housing analysts are saying that the condo market is becoming
oversaturated but that the market for new single-family homes (including
townhouses) is tighter.

One problem that we experience in Hyattsville is that there are many
"entry-level" housing choices (many apartments, some condos with many more
coming, some townhouses with many more coming, many small single-family
homes) but few options for "move-up" buyers.  This imbalance will get worse
in the next several years.  The danger is that we become a semi-transient
community where most folks stay for a few years and then leave when finances
allow and/or space requirements dictate.  It's great that we have been
successful in convincing planners and developers to switch from rental to
ownership options, but that in itself doesn't guarantee a stable, organic
community.

In light of that last paragraph, I guess I've got some sympathy for your
position that condos and townhouses aren't that different, after all.

Chris Currie
Hyattsville