[RP TownTalk] EYA Development in Hyattsville

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Thu Mar 2 18:59:46 UTC 2006

Welcome Heather,

We don't have a planner for the town; we generally draw on Parks and
Planning for needs in that area.  We could do better, and we are
starting to.

Our first stab at detailed planning was the Mixed Use Town Center
Zone, the process for which got started a few years back under the
Herman administration.  The MUTC zone recently came into effect, and
we are looking at the very first major development proposals  within
the zone right now.  You can get a copy of the MUTC vision at the town
offices.

Under the Archer administration, we are taking the first steps toward
a comprehensive marketing plan for the town center area.  We are in
the process of hiring a consultant right now for the first phase.
Because we are starting from zero, we have a long way to go before we
can lay out a vision for all of the areas in town.

There are several ways in which we coordinate with Hyattsville.  There
is a Route 1 consortium of seven municipalities that formalizes
cooperation on some of those needs.  This group has not been very
active lately, but I hear they may be meeting again soon.

If you would like to see the Wachovia development as you describe, you
really should attend the next meeting of the MUTC committee, and urge
them _not_ to accept the development as currently proposed.  There is
the very real possibility that this could happen unless the public
makes its voice heard.