[RP TownTalk] U.S. Housing Bust!

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Wed Mar 15 21:27:58 UTC 2006

Dannielle, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.
For those that don't realize it, Dannielle has made a career in the
study of infill development ("smart growth").

One thing we should all keep in mind when discussing the proposed
development at Dumm's Corner: the Mixed-Use Town Center zoning was
designed *specifically* to increase density in the MUTC area.  This
has nothing to do with the momentary ups and downs of the housing
market.  The decision to increase density was a long-term bet.  It is
our official plan, which has been signed into law.

The consensus represented in the MUTC plan was formulated over years,
involved multiple mayoral administrations in consultation with county
planning professionals, and was open to participation by all citizens
of Riverdale Park.  Many did participate, and I'm proud of what they
produced.

Mr Wernek was one of the authors of the MUTC plan.  I'm proud of him,
too.  He wrote a great plan which was designed to encourage
redevelopment at Dumm's Corner and throughout our Town Center.  Now,
the plan is working!  This is what we asked for: we have developers
with real resources knocking at our door.

And they can build right away, thanks to the MUTC zoning.  They can
build up to three stories of new condos at the Spiropolous properties.

It is emphatically not at issue whether or not the condos can be
built.  We -- and by we I mean Mr Wernek and other good folks in the
town -- have already created all the needed zoning to enable condos
there.

What is at issue is that the developer wants a variance to build more
than three stories.  My personal opinion is that five stories is too
big, and that four stories would be a reasonable compromise.

PS  Here's a link to the MUTC plan

   http://www.mncppc.org/cpd/riverdaleplan.htm

Anyone can also get a copy of the book at Town Hall.