[RP TownTalk] New Dematha gateway at Madison and Route 1

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Fri May 12 19:24:41 UTC 2006

I want to share some information and concerns regarding DeMatha's most
recent proposal for its new gateway at Madison Street and Route 1.
Hyattsville's
City Council will hear a presentation from DeMatha this coming Monday May 15
at 8pm.

The project is entirely in Hyattsville, but the gateway is directly across
the street from
Riverdale Park and is a legitimate interest of ours. Hyattsville's Mayor
Bill Gardiner welcomes our input, and
is looking for support from neighbors.  While our council has taken no
official position at this point, I believe it is in our interest for
Hyattsville to follow through on their zoning plans.

As background, DeMatha is going to build a new Convocation Center and expand
its parking facilities. This area is covered by the Gateway Arts Sector Plan
(GASP) zoning which is Hyattsville's complementary plan to Riverdale Park's
MUTC covering our portion of Route 1. Both plans call for multistory
buildings set close to the street in order to form a "main street"
feel. Parking is supposed to be in the rear, or off the main thoroughfare.

The DeMatha proposal calls for parking lots directly on Route One.    This
is a significant deviation from the Gateway Arts Sector revitalization
vision. After talking with Mayor Gardiner there are some points that we
should consider:  1) DeMatha and Eakin Youngentab could "trade" some
property that would enable conforming buildings to cover
at least part of the street front; 2) because the county can always override
the decisions of towns, it is important for Riverdale Park and Hyattsville
to cooperate and reinforce our zoning plans if we want to see these plans
realized.

I will attend the Monday meeting and say: 1) I am very happy that DeMatha is

expanding its campus -- they are a wonderful part of our community; 2) it is
important to follow through with the community developed zoning plans; 3)
failure to follow through with GASP in Hyattsville may serve to undermine
Riverdale Park's MUTC zone.

I hope others will join me at Hyattsville's City Council meeting to view the
proposal and champion the zoning plans that are designed to recreate Route 1
as a "main street." Should you reach a different conclusion from mine, it is
never the less beneficial to know what is going on so close to our boarder.

Best wishes,

Vern