[RP TownTalk] Doug Jemal and the Beatles

David Hiles hilesd at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 13 13:46:40 UTC 2006

My messages to this list are being moderated because I was judged to
have violated the posting standards.
************************************

Jemal owns Uline Arena, where the Beatles played (near Union Station).
Interesting comment regarding how he deals with planners' opinions.

*****************snip

Uline is now owned by Doug Jemal, the megadeveloper recently acquitted
of bribing city officials. Jemal says that because of economic factors,
he has no current plans to do anything with the Uline site and isn’t
against an historic designation.

“I think the city would like to see residential there, and I don’t feel
the residential market is there now,” he says. “So, it’ll sit.”

Layman says Jemal might be local preservationists’ favorite developer,
citing the Chinatown Fuddruckers and a Harris Teeter planned for Adams
Morgan as surroundings-friendly construction projects Jemal has led.
But he’s not going to risk leaving everything to Jemal’s whimsy. If the
board grants Layman’s wish, Jemal or any other developer would be
unable to tear down Uline to make way for condos or an office high-rise
or, well, another Fuddruckers.

“I’m a preservationist, and I’m into history and authenticity,” says
Layman. “That doesn’t mean I’m against development. I just happen to
think it’s good to save old buildings. The only thing that the board is
empowered to consider is the architectural and historical significance
of a building—that’s broken down to significant connections to people,
as well as events.”

from the washington city paper
(http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/cheap/2006/cheap1110.html?
navCenterTop)