[RP TownTalk] Condoms, etc

Maureen E. Farrington freckles at portal.nothingbutshell.net
Tue Nov 28 17:45:38 UTC 2006

It is highly unlikely that a child who picks up a used condom can contract
HIV/AIDS.  From the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/hoax1.htm)

"HIV is not an airborne or food-borne virus, and it does not live long
outside the body. Even if small amounts of HIV-infected blood were
consumed, stomach acid would destroy the virus. Therefore, there is no
risk of contracting HIV from eating ketchup."

Regardless, it is unquestionably unhygienic.

I think the best thing we can do for that lovely little park is to light
it.  I'll bet anyone a shiny new quarter that making it harder to do
condom-related activities will decrease the amount of prophylactics in
the area.  It's already right there by the police station, so to my mind
the "cover of darkness" has to be the big draw for the area.  Let's change
it.

I know I personally don't have time until after the holidays, but
organizing some townsfolk to clean the park some Saturday morning also
sounds like a good solution to me.

-Maureen