[RP TownTalk] Oct 2 Council Meeting Summary

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Wed Oct 4 16:35:24 UTC 2006

Here is a quick summary of the big items from the Oct 2 legislative meeting:

1) David Lingua was confirmed as the new councilperson for Ward 3.
Congratulations to David and many thanks to all 4 candidates for being
willing to serve. All candidates are top drawer and highly qualified.
David has been attending council meetings and serving as the Rec Board
chair for many months. The mayor was pleased to point out that David will
step straight into the job and immediately be up to speed on both ward and
town issues.

2) Anissa Sunday is taking on the job as Rec Board Chair. Thank you Anissa.

3) The proposed Fence and Hedge code will be discussed in detail on
Monday Oct 16 at 8 p.m. Your participation and comments are encouraged.
The council will likely vote on this in Nov.

4) The Charter & Code changes to the Mayor and Council pay/attendance failed.
As it stands now, there is no change to the salary or methods of pay or requirements.
Please contact your council person and tell them what you think the salary should be.

5) Since we exhausted our tree trimming and removal budget this summer
(we underestimated the amount of maintenance needed and the July 4 wind
storm was very expensive) and since there is a long list of trees that still need
trimming, we approved a supplemental appropriation so that tree trimming
and removal can resume.

6) We approved emergency repairs to two dangerous side walk conditions.
The low spot on the public sidewalk at Rhode Island and Queensbury (near the
S&J entrance where water puddles and freezes) and the dangerous condition on the
walk at 4910 Ravenswood will be repaired.

Note: a HUGE amount of sidewalk and road work is scheduled to begin in the spring.

7) So we could get some much needed park maintenance and planting done and
since a horticulturist has not been hired, we moved budget monies from PW salaries to
contracting and authorized the administration to enter into a landscaping contract.

8) The resolution to restrict storage in unenclosed areas such as porches passed .

9) We accepted the low bid for the road repair work on Sheridan and Somerset.
Weather allowing work will begin Thursday .

There were a number of other smaller items discussed, some passed some delayed.
They will all be reported in the next Crier.

The meeting adjourned at 1 am.
Some of us have not fully recovered.

Rob Oppenheim
CM Ward 1, Community Affairs Chair.