[RP TownTalk] Fence/Hedge Ordinance: side yard/back yard shrubberies

David Hiles hilesd at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 5 12:55:15 UTC 2006

My messages to this list are being moderated because I was judged to
have violated the posting standards.
************************************
Re draft ordinance posted in October 2006 Crier:

The draft ordinance limits hedge height in side and back yards to 6
feet on the side and 8 feet in the rear(Section 66-20-a).  I suggest
that the council consider dropping restrictions on hedge heights in
side and back yards.  Why?

1) If you have a deck in your back yard which is 4 feet off the ground,
an 8 feet shrub won't give you much privacy or shielding from viewing
your neighbor's back yard.  Old houses (which some of us really like)
often have raised side or rear porches.  Same problem.

2) Many common privacy hedges grow to 18-20 feet and provide natural,
traditional, beautiful privacy.  Examples: Arbor Vitae, Photinia, Yew.
Bamboo has similar size properties, but may perhaps be less beautiful.
Good luck keeping bamboo below 8 feet!

Big privacy hedges have been a feature of pleasant neighborhoods in the
Anglo-Saxon world for at least three centuries.  Why kill that off in
Riverdale Park?

WE are who we have been waiting for.
http://riverdalepark.blogspot.com/