[RP TownTalk] Fence and Hedge Code Discussion

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Sun Oct 15 16:54:18 UTC 2006

An in-depth discussion of the proposed fence and hedge code
is set for tomorrow evening, Monday 10/16/06 at 8 pm, Town Hall.
(The proposed code was published in the last Town Crier.)

Your comments are most welcome both here and at the meeting.

SetBacks
Shall we change the setback rules to be: if there is a sidewalk present then
require a fence/hedge to be a few inches back from the sidewalk and if there
is no sidewalk, then require the fence/hedge to be completely on one's own
property (not in the public right of way, which varies from about 10 to 12 feet
back from the street).

Should people be allowed to plant hedges in the public right of way?
Should people be allowed to place fences in the public right of way?

Hedges
Is it different to have a tall dense hedge than a fence?
Should they be treated differently?

(I am leaning towards easing the hedge restrictions, but it is hard
to justify allowing views to be blocked by hedges but not fences).

Hyattsville requires a permit to plant a hedge. Should we?

Fences
Do you think people should be able to put 6 foot fences in their
Rear yard?
Side yard?
Front yard?

Many communities allow NO front yard fence. Should we do that too?
(Personally, I prefer no front yard fences, but I doubt if that is right for RP.)

I look forward to your comments.

-Rob Oppenheim
Ward One Councilman, Riverdale Park