[RP TownTalk] winter heating bills

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Mon Oct 16 14:52:30 UTC 2006

Good news for those of us that live in drafty old houses.  NOAA
predicts a mild winter for much of the US because of an El Nino event.
 This map

   http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/images/winter-outlook-2006-2007-temps.jpg

says that we have a 33% chance of having a milder winter than usual.
If we are lucky, it would likely still be somewhat colder than last
year's very mild winter.

However, natural gas prices are set to fall somewhat for the first
time in years.  Nationwide, gas bills are predicted to fall 15% this
winter, with more relief possible next year.

Heating oil prices are up this year -- but I reckon 90% of the people
on this list are on gas heat.