[RP TownTalk] Fences

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 13:13:40 UTC 2006

I agree with Mr. Holmes in that, since we have SUCH a
wide variety of houses in town, we should take that
into consideration when regulating fence height.

As for front fences - I think that front fences, if
kept in good repair, SHOULD be allowed - after all,
people have children and/or pets, and they should be
able to let their kids/pets in the front yard without
having to worry about them wandering off.  No one
should have to keep their children or Fido confined to
the back yard.  Too, if you have a front fence, people
are less likely to cut through your yard, steal your
flowers, etc.

As far as ANY fence - if someone has a very large dog,
especially if the dog isn't friendly, I would hope
that their fence would be adequate to keep the dog
completely confined to the yard.  There's one house in
town where the people have a large dog that always
jumps up and barks at everyone who passes by; I keep
wondering just when that dog will get a "toe hold" on
the fence (which is a standard height Anchor-type
fence) and jump over and bite someone.