[RP TownTalk] The Fencing issue

euniverz at aol.com euniverz at aol.com
Wed Oct 18 19:22:52 UTC 2006

Thanks for requesting my input on the fence issue...here it is

I am vehemently against any changes to the fencing law in Riverdale Park for a number of reasons...

1.  I prefer chain link fencing to wood fencing.  It's hard to ignore a wooden fence.  I really never gave it much thought before, but I find wooden fencing, especially the picket variety, very intrusive.  I think wrought iron is a bit much, especially for a little property like mine.  Vinyl fencing is, well, vinyl.  Chain link is a perfectly good fence material; very unobtrusive and almost disappears.  Also, it's less expensive.  And I mean no offense to anyone with the types of fencing I'm not fond of.  If that's what you like, well it's your property and you do what you want.  And isn't that the crux of the whole matter?

2.  I am especially vehemently opposed to doing away with front yard fencing.  I have dogs, and I bought my house where I did because it had a front yard fence as well as a back yard fence.  If my big scary-looking dog happens to run out the front door while you were walking by, wouldn't you want me to have a front fence?  If I had to eliminate my front fence I would immediately cement my whole front yard over because as useless as it would be to me unfenced, I wouldn't want to bother having to mow it.

3.  Also, I purchased my house in Riverdale Park because the town had just the right mix of an unintrusive town with decent town services.  I DO NOT want to live in a town that wants to enforce HOA type rules, and that's where I see this sort of thing headed to.  Nor would I want to pay any additional taxes for imposing these rules.  If I wanted someone to dictate to me what my fence should look like or impose their concept of aesthetics on me, frankly, I would have moved to Columbia.

I try to remember that not everbody's concept of neighborhood "beauty" is the same.  I know there are those that will pull apart my statements line by line for the sake of "the greater good", but the greater good has already spoken and now it's the "lesser good's" turn.

While very strongly worded, this is not intended to dis people with no fencing, fencing made of wood, vinyl, wrought iron, a cemented over front yard, HOAs, the Town of Columbia, the lawmakers of Riverdale Park, or anyone else.  My own chain link fence, such as it is, is very important to me and I'd like the ability to enjoy it in peace.  So I promise not to worry about anyone else's fencing if you promise not to worry about mine.

And I haven't even gotten started about  hedges...

Adrianne Lefkowitz
Madison Street