[RP TownTalk] New Submission: Substitute Desperately Needed at Riverdale Elementary School

Iris McLaurin elsiegoh at starpower.net
Thu Sep 21 20:46:55 UTC 2006

Substitutes Desperately Needed at Riverdale Elementary School

At the recommendation of Mayor Archer, I visited Riverdale Elementary School
to inquire about their need for Substitute Teachers.   The Vice Principal,
Ms. Kim Seidel, wanted to know if I could come in tomorrow!  But I have not
been through the application process, so I was unable to oblige her.  THEY
REALLY NEED HELP!

Please drop in and pick up an application package if you can help:
Requirements:
1.       Graduated from HS at least 2 years ago
2.      Priority given to part-time or full-time college students
3.      Applicants with a HS diploma will only be considered if there is
previous experience working with children

4-Step Process:
1.       Complete Application
2.      Attach References
3.      Take the Application Back to the School of your choice for interview
with principal or designee
4.      Bring copy of high school diploma or college degree

Evaluation Process:
1.       Begins after all documents received in Substitute Teacher's Office
2.      If selected, must attend an orientation session
3.      If selected must take mandatory fingerprinting (at your cost)
4.      If selected, will receive a PGCPS Substitute Teacher Identification
Card, to be authorized to work at any county school for current school year
       *Note:  Per the Ms. Seidel process unfortunately could take up to six
weeks.

Pay Rate:
$55/day - HS graduate    $66/day bachelor's degree or higher   Substitutes
may be paid more for long term assignments

On another note, when I entered the school office, I did not have a
favorable first impression.  I stood there for several minutes and neither
of two people sitting at desks near the reception area ever welcomed me or
acknowledged my presence.  One was on the phone when I entered, I would not
have expected him to discontinue his conversation.  The other person was not
on a telephone call.  Though I was business attire (suit, pearl earrings,
pearl necklace, heels!), I did not have a briefcase, so I do not think I
gave the impression of being a pesky sales person.  Secondly, when the Vice
Principal just happened to be coming from her office, she stopped, stared
then asked if she could help me.  I smiled and said, "Yes, you can."  Then I
said nothing more, because in my opinion, it would be appropriate for her to
have come over to the reception desk--- I could have been a parent.   Once I
stated that I lived in Riverdale Park-she was cordial, then I said I had
come by at the recommendation of Mayor Archer to inquire about
substitutes-then she became very cordial!  As an educator and a former
school director, it's my pet peeve to have a parent take the time to visit
the school, and to not be warmly acknowledged.  I could have been a parent,
or someone who wanted to make a large financial contribution to the school.
Nonetheless, I highly recommend and encourage that you consider helping at
Riverdale Elementary if you can -(and at Mayor Archer's school, too: William
Wirt Middle School, 62nd Place & Tuckerman Street Riverdale, Maryland
20737).