[RP TownTalk] train cafe, cont'd

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 15:43:59 UTC 2006

other towns across the country have created a stir (and a slew of
court challenges) by using eminent domain powers to condemn
residential areas in old neighborhood as "blighted" in order to sell
the land to private developers in the name of economic development.
the argument boils down to tax base:  the city can get higher tax
revenues from the newer, upscale developments than from the existing
ones.  maybe the tables can be turned, condemn the "blighted"
commercial property for public use?  (just an idea...)