[RP TownTalk] Community Center

Sarah Michailof minnesarah at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 03:39:55 UTC 2006

This idea sounds intriguing.  Right off the bat, the community centers that come to my mind are stand alone facilities in the middle of a park or next to a school...I can't think of a community center in a "town center" type of setting.  Are there examples of similar public/private development partnerships and how they turned out?  Maybe Kennedy Smith can shed light on whether similar things have been done successfully in other towns?

Regarding the 2000 community survey - it is 6 years old now.  There are a lot of new residents in my own piece of Riverdale Park (north of E-W Highway, east of US 1). In my own, admittedly narrow hindsight, I've seen increasing interest in community building since I moved here 4 years ago. I know I would have returned the survey, given the chance... : )

I think the idea of a community center is worth revisiting.  A community center could foster a presence in the town center during both day and evening hours, if done right, which would really be a boon to revitalization efforts.

Sarah Michailof