[RP TownTalk] RP empty storefronts

dominey at mris.com dominey at mris.com
Thu Sep 28 13:36:18 UTC 2006

Hello everyone.
Although I live in Hyattsville I have been following RP's announcements and discussion with vivid interest. I'd like to give my 2 cents worth of opinion on the storefronts:
Doug Jemal has done wonders in neighborhoods that desperately needed development and investment. Please go to Chinatown/7th Street in DC and see how that area has been transformed from the most horrible surroundings into what it is today. It took years, though. But patience and wisdom and the financial ability to hold out against dollar stores and nail salons has paid off. Unfortunately it takes time and patience to attract the right kind of tenant into retail/commercial strips that are not deemed desirable by shop/business owners. I am sure that everyone, including Jemal wants to see a revitalized commercial strip in downtown RP. But as of now I only see low end discount stores willing to move into our immediate area. Go up RT 1 in Laurel and you will notice the brand new strip malls tenanted by dollar stores or similar businesses. Even EYA has acknowledged having difficulty attracting quality commercial tenants to the east side of their development in Hyattsville. In light
 of this reality they had to incorporate more residential units on that side than initially planned to make up for the lack of commercial/retail interest.
I think we need to be patient and communicate more closely with the developers to understand underlying forces and reasons.
Sandra Dominey
Queensbury Road