[RP TownTalk] this is crazy (USPS zipcode/name "system")

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 17:59:01 UTC 2007

Wow, this zip code thing strikes quite a nerve!

When Dwight first alerted me to the fact that Riverdale Park is not in the
Post Office zipcode database, I discussed the matter with our town
administrator, Pat Prangley.

Pat is setting up a meeting with our post master general to discuss this
and other issues. We are waiting on the post office to get back to us with
an available date for the meeting.

The meeting should result in RP being added to the database. If it does not,
then escalating it up to federal officials would be appropriate.

Details:

"Riverdale Park" is not a known city name in the Postal Service ZIP code data base.

We would like to have "Riverdale Park" added to the Postal Service's list of
"acceptable names for ZIP code 20737". This ZIP code covers more than just
Riverdale Park, and we are not asking that the entire ZIP code be changed,
just that Riverdale Park be recognized as a town within the ZIP code.

We prefer that "Riverdale Park" not be the default address for 20737, as that
could add to the confusion of distinguishing our town from other areas that are
also served by the Riverdale Post Office and zip code 20737.

-Rob Oppenheim

Ward One Councilman, Riverdale Park
5902 Cleveland Ave
Riverdale Park, Md 20737-1930