[RP TownTalk] this is crazy (USPS zipcode/name "system")

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 18:27:10 UTC 2007

Perfect! Excellent!!  Thanks to Rob and Pat!

As for "sweating the small stuff" I thought that one of the attractions and
perks of living in a small town was being able to do exactly that, no?? :-)

On 4/6/07, Rob Oppenheim <rob.oppenheim at comcast.net> wrote:

>  Wow, this zip code thing strikes quite a nerve!
>
>  When Dwight first alerted me to the fact that Riverdale Park is not in
> the
>  Post Office zipcode database, I discussed the matter with our town
>  administrator, Pat Prangley.
>
>  Pat is setting up a meeting with our post master general to discuss this
>  and other issues. We are waiting on the post office to get back to us
> with
>  an available date for the meeting.
>
>  The meeting should result in RP being added to the database. If it does
> not,
>  then escalating it up to federal officials would be appropriate.
>
>  Details:
>
>  "Riverdale Park" is not a known city name in the Postal Service ZIP code
> data base.
>
>  We would like to have "Riverdale Park" added to the Postal Service's list
> of
>  "acceptable names for ZIP code 20737". This ZIP code covers more than
> just
>  Riverdale Park, and we are not asking that the entire ZIP code be
> changed,
>  just that Riverdale Park be recognized as a town within the ZIP code.
>
>  We prefer that "Riverdale Park" not be the default address for 20737, as
> that
>  could add to the confusion of distinguishing our town from other areas
> that are
>  also served by the Riverdale Post Office and zip code 20737.
>
>  -Rob Oppenheim

Ward One Councilman, Riverdale Park

--
"We can have concentrated wealth in the hands of a few or we can have
democracy.  But we cannot have both."