[RP TownTalk] Trains and Horns

Lou King lking at knob.com
Mon Apr 16 20:55:06 UTC 2007

Leslie, sorry to hear you are loosing sleep.

Back in the dark ages when I first joined the service I lived next to
the tracks in Mississippi.  The situation was similar to those of you
living on Lafayette Ave., with a new baby. The tracks were the main
railroad between Mobile and New Orleans and the crossing in front of our
shack was ungraded, just a "X" Railroad Crossing sign.  I thought I
would never get use to the noise. (Being able to walk to the beach did
help.)  One afternoon I heard an odd noise and looked outside. A train
had hit a car and thrown it into our side yard. The tracks were about 10
ft above grade and the car had stalled crossing the tracks. The people
heard the train horns and bailed out of the car in time.  I didn't even
hear the train.

The horns/bells do serve a function.  I would guess a long time resident
could till us when the last time someone was hit by a train here.  On
the other hand I think all the horns are like wearing garlic around my
neck. I mean I haven't had a cold or seen a vampire in years. Should I
get rid of the garlic?  Considering the potential cost, which horn would
you eliminate?

I will hold out for a silver crucifix. Your new crossing will be here soon.

Lou