[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 9, Issue 27

euniverz at aol.com euniverz at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 19:37:17 UTC 2007

Electioneering:  "persuasion of voters in a political campaign"

Can any of the statements in the Mayor's post (see below) be construed as "electioneering"?  Specifically, those statements around which I placed asterisks?

Not complaining, just seeking clarification.

Adrianne Lefkowitz (apparent Town Contrarian)
Madison Street

Dear voters,

<snip>...These paper postings, along with an advertisement in a paper of general
circulation (we use the Town Crier), are the Charter mandated means of
getting information about elections out to you. (emphasis added AML) ****Anything that is done by the
town beyond that represents the Mayor and Council going extra steps to give
information to the public.***

You will note that when the announcement went out electronically via
the Town Announce it included for each candidate the 1) phone number; 2)
email address; and 3) web site (if the candidate has one).  If you want to
have a one-on-one discussion with the candidates for office (Emphasis added AML) ****you are better
able to do that now than in any election that has ever occurred in the
history of Riverdale Park****--and Riverdale Park already had a very good record
of constituent access to candidates.

(Emphasis added AML) ****Every Council member in one way or another advocated providing more
information to improve electronic/voice access to the candidates. The only
no vote on the current policy for improving this access came from a council
member who wanted to go farther still...****

<snip>

Best wishes,

Vern