[RP TownTalk] Train Horns

OurDollMom at aol.com OurDollMom at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 12:36:20 UTC 2007

The other day up at the town center I was
talking to some boys and girls about 7 yrs
old  - to about 10 yrs old - they were telling me
how much they loved the trains.  Just then a
train came thru blowing its horn and it was a
very loud horn.  They said Oh yes this train
has the loudest horn of all the trains.  They
like to sit and watch the trains (but they do not
sit at the train station to watch) they watch
from out of the way points to be away from the
traffic.

I said one day we wont hear the horns any
more as they are going to put up special gates
for more safety for the cars - then the horns will
not blow any more.

One child frowned and said Oh No - then how
will we know a train is coming if there are no
horns any more.  We NEVER CROSS THE
TRACKS HERE WHERE ALL THE CARS ARE -
IT IS TOO DANGEROUS.  WE CROSS FURTHER
UP OR DOWN THE TRACKS ALL THE TIME.

She said We cross the tracks everyday all the time
but never here.

You know, this is a family neighborhood with MANY
children.  I think to silence the horns is very dangerous
--you never know when kids love the trains or the tracks or
have to cross back and forth multiple times in a day.

Find out how the conductor makes a decision to blow
more than once or twice is important - if you want to
regulate the horn noise -

BUT WE NEED SOME KIND OF HORN TO BLOW
FOR APPROACHING TRAINS to warn children playing
on or around the tracks and the homeless.

emily