[RP TownTalk] Trains & Horns

OurDollMom at aol.com OurDollMom at aol.com
Mon Apr 23 12:47:40 UTC 2007

I really do not know how far away you can hear
 the horn of an approaching train BUT I have always
 heard the train horns crossing in the Riverdale area
 between Riverdale & Berwyn Hgts/College Park
 train track areas.  And I have always depended
 on the horns besides my eyes.

And the children depend on the horns besides
looking.  I think parents have told their kids not
to play on the train tracks - but kids are kids -
what is playing to a parent - is not always playing
to a child.

My boys played games on the tracks as kids.
And you know I told them umteen times not to
play on the tracks. They used to sit on the side
of the tracks & watch the trains go by.

My dad & his brothers (in Branchville area) used
to walk the tracks - my uncle is 81 & still has
his trains & scenery up in his basement. The
other brothers have passed on now. I used to
have trains & layout under my Xmas tree & in the
attic.

On nice days in the past I have walked to the shop
and crossed the tracks in the Ravenswood area or
down at the far end of Lafayette.

There is something about railroad tracks & trains
that draw you there - maybe knowing how far &
wide a train travels & what adventures a train may
have seen.  When in my early 20s - my girlfriend
and I hopped an open door freight train & rode - it
was scary on the way back to jump off a slowly
moving train car. Lucky we did not get killed.

Since my car accident I have crossed a couple of
times....once in the snow - but using a hiking stick.

At the far end of Lafayette people cross all the
time and sit along the side of the  tracks eating
 as they leave their lunch/dinner trash laying about
 which I used to pick up daily.  There is a path there.

At one time there were crossing paths off and on all
along the train tracks between Riverdale & College Pk.

I do not have a problem with the new gates coming.
But I do have a problem with silencing all horns.
There has to be a HAPPY MEDIUM PLAN.

Emily