[RP TownTalk] Trains & Horns

Gerald King Gerald at geraldking.com
Tue Apr 24 05:11:10 UTC 2007

Thanks Emily. It's thoughts and memories like these that give meaning and character to our little town of Riverdale Park. Though I was first attracted by the historic mansion of George Calvert and the many parks, river, and fields sprinkled about the town, I soon came to realize that Riverdale Park was really created by the railroad and perhaps the trolley. I've enjoyed riding into the city via the Mark Train for a number of years. I've met and talked with a number of train watchers, and while the Riverdale Bookshop was still alive, I shared the thundering, rumbling clatter of heavy trains that would interrupt the musicians as they played for a room full of townsfolk. It was exhilarating and memorable. I felt that this was a special place.
I did a  painting of a small boy with his grandmother sitting in the window of the Bookshop. Just outside, a freight is traversing the intersection. The boy, who is suppose to be reading, is looking out the window at the train. The train seems to offer excitement and flights of fancy to the youth. It will become an intimate part of his character, and some day, the inspiration for artistic or literary expression. I called the painting, "The Reading Lesson."
Save the horns, whistles and clatter of steel wheels over steel rails. They're intoxicating.
Gerald King