[RP TownTalk] the struggle continues...

Vinnie Bevivino bevivino at umd.edu
Thu Aug 2 13:39:58 UTC 2007

Master Peace Community Garden Newsletter

Volunteer plea disguised as a Garden Update:

Michael Pollan writes about 4 dimensional gardening in his book
Second Nature.  We don't just garden a particular space, but also
garden in time.  Things change as the summer progresses, and beds
that were meticulously weeded just weeks ago seem be hosting unwanted
guests, and before we know it we're grass growers and not vegetable
growers.  It is an axiom for gardeners that a garden's work is never
finished, that we are constantly looking to the next week or weeks,
anticipating the weeds and harvests we can't see yet.

With that said, our garden looks great.  Today.  We had some amazing
and tireless volunteers come out and whipped it into shape.  I want
to thank the six high school students of the Student Conservation
Association for volunteering for two full days, pulling up countless
full wheelbarrows of weeds. There are no more out of control weeds,
we have seeds in the ground in almost all open spaces, and we at
least have plans for those spaces that are currently vacant.
However, we know that letting up on our campaign against the weeds
will negate  the hard work of the last two weeks.

So, we still would love your help!  Please come out and help us plant
lettuce, kale, spinach, and other cool season crops.  Help us pull
weeds in our paths and beds in our attempt to rid our soil of
persistent grasses.  Help us water and harvest.  Help us prepare for
the inevitable, the future.

We will be out in the garden the following times, and we more then
welcome to you stop by to look, for a picnic, or to spend the day
toiling in the soil.

Thursday - 10 AM to 2PM (and then off to the Riverdale Farmers Market)
Saturday - 9 AM to 2 PM
next Wednesday 9 AM to 2 PM
next Thursday - 10 AM to 2 PM (and then the farmers market again)
next Saturday - 9AM to 2PM

Also, check out the Google Group "Riverdale Community Garden" for
recently uploaded pictures of the garden and the market.

And, remember to stop by the Riverdale Farmers Market every Thursday
from 3 to 7PM, off East West Highway on Queensbury in Riverdale Park
at the MARC train station.

Also at the Center for Educational Partnership:

This past month, about a hundred students participated in the Free
Minds Collective, a one month summer program combining academic
summer classes with hands on creative workshops.  One of the
workshops was gardening, cooking, and healthy eating.  This Friday,
from 1:30 to 4 at William Wirt Middle School, we invite you to the
Free Minds Collective final showcase, where all the students will be
displaying what they've been working on and learned in the past
month.  In addition to the youth chefs presenting some great garden-
fresh food, you'll be seeing some amazing break-dancing, spoken word
performances, get a peek at what the mural group painted for the
outside of William Wirt, and so much more.  These students have put
their brains, hearts, and souls into this work and are proud to
present it to you.  I've attached a press release for more details,
but what you really need to know is that its 1:30 to 4 in the William
Wirt Middle School Multipurpose Room.

Thank you so much for your support thus far!
-Vinnie and the rest of the Master Peace Community Garden
The Center for Educational Partnership
6200 Sheridan Street
Riverdale, MD