[RP TownTalk] Traffic

kathy galleher kgalleher at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 23:48:07 UTC 2007

I have a thought about the traffic issue, and I realize I may have a minority opinion, but I'd just like to express it in this forum.  I am all for enforcing safety via stop sign enforcement and speed enforcement.  However, I don't support changing street access to limit traffic, such as closing streets to decrease traffic or  installing speed bumps that force you to travel 10 mph below the posted limit in order to navigate them. I see the streets as public, and everyone has a right to choose which public roads they travel on and at what time of day.

I have been disheartened  to notice an increase in the number of public streets, paid for by tax payer money, which are essentially "privatized" by making them "No Entry" at certain times of day. I believe those streets belong to all of us, not just those who live on them.  It also seems like it is usually higher income neighborhoods who are accorded the right to regulate traffic out of their neighborhood.  On an individual basis, I certainly understand the frustration, but collectively I don't think such solutions work for the good of everyone.

My latest frustration is that I have a morning yoga class in University Park.  A few months ago, all the streets I used to travel to the class were closed  to entry until 9:30 am.  So I am now forced to either risk a ticket or risk being rear-ended on 410 as I try to slow and make a turn.  I don't like it.  Instead of closing off increasing numbers of side streets, it would be great if we could concertedly and consistently support traffic modifications that would improve 410 and therefore cut down on the advantage of cutting through side neighborhoods. And also support smart growth initiatives, expansion of efficient public transportation, and other more community-enhancing solutions.

I wanted to add this perspective to the discussion, so thanks for listening
Kathy