[RP TownTalk] Traffic

Lou King lking at knob.com
Sat Aug 11 01:08:55 UTC 2007

Kathy I'm with you.

It would be nice if we could all agree on how to improve the
infrastructure as easily and clearly as you have stated the need. But I
fear we can't even agree on how to maintain the infrastructure we have,
let alone agree on the priorities for building more.

If we can't agree on which bridges to keep from falling down, how could
we agree on building more bridges?  The discussion about how to pay for
bridge repair has just started.  Of course roads aren't the only
infrastructure that needs help, there are schools, health care, drinking
water, wast disposal, electricity, ... Not being able to tax people
without limit, where does 410 fit into the list of priorities? Does it
even make the cut?  It hasn't yet! = earlier this year in the Wacovia
discussions, a 410 fly over was put forward as the long term plan for Rt
1 & 410.  But there is no money (cynically) for a problem that hasn't
killed someone. =

So what do we do as a second best solution for the problem? A solution
that can be implemented locally with little or no public funds? IMHO
This is where the discussion needs to be to get you to your yoga class
sometime before you are in your 90s and cars off of Ravenswood and
Taylor before some school kid gets hit. You think suggestions are
draconian now, wait till we have a kid's name as a mantra.

As you said ...

kathy galleher wrote:
>  ...it would be great if we could concertedly and consistently support
> traffic modifications that would improve 410 and therefore cut down on
> the advantage of cutting through side neighborhoods. And also support
> smart growth initiatives, expansion of efficient public
> transportation, and other more community-enhancing solutions.

But what do we do in the short term for quality of life? or just getting
around?

Lou