[RP TownTalk] I want you opinion

cranky old coot lking at knob.com
Thu Aug 16 00:18:41 UTC 2007

Before I get on my soapbox what do you think?  You have been saved from
a long winded tirade because Windows crashed just as I was about to send
the email to TownTalk.

Lately I have noticed several emails, interspersed with the opinions of
Riverdale Park residents, that are from groups outside of town or are
just emails that are forwarded to the forum without comment.

Don't get me wrong, one of the reasons I read each and every email on
this forum is because I want to know/understand what the diverse
residences of Riverdale Park thank/are passionate about.

When I see mass mailings from Hyattsville CDC (who ever they are) or
anyone else to 7 or 8 addressees including yhoogroups it makes me feel
soooo "special."  I seldom see why I, a Riverdale Park residence, should
care except that Hyattsville is a neighbor. Artists have to live some
where, so anyone can have "local" artists. Are any of them from
Riverdale? Are we supporting Hyattsville's diversity or ours?  Has
TownTalk become the modern equivalent of the old memeographed fliers
cranked out in a church basement and delivered to your mail slot by a
neighbor kid. No more targeting than you are in the neighborhood.
(Remember the smell?)

The other group that gets my goat are the emails that are forwarded to
the forum by members without comment. You I "know." It's your opinion I
want. Mary ReallyPassionate may make the argument in the most elegant
manner, but I don't know her from Joe BlowHard.  Her message to the
converted (you) is similar to quoting Bible verses to heathens; I'm not
sure it adds to the discourse.

And while I'm here, postings on the forum that are just a link to some
article/webpage.  Given my myopic view of the world why should I follow
the link? Could you summarize the article? Tell me why I should read it.
If you don't have time, why should I?

It has been brought to my attention (more than once) that I won't learn
anything with my mouth open. So I will be quit and listen.

Lou