[RP TownTalk] What I like about Riverdale Park

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Thu Dec 6 17:12:42 UTC 2007

Sometimes we post about things that shock or surprise us, and forget
to think about what we like about living here. I think it would be
fun to compile a list of what we *like* about Riverdale Park.  If you
want to fuss about something, or disagree, please start a separate
thread with a separate title. I want this thread to be a list of what
is good about our town.

Here are some things that I like:

(1) My neighbors. I have the most wonderful neighbors: They take care
of me when I'm down, amuse me, chat with me, work with me, and
generally make my life a lot more fun.

(2) Our community events, including the Holiday Market, the Farmer's
Market, Riverdale Park Day, and all the Recreation Board-sponsored
events. There are more, I'm sure - add your favorites!

(3) Our locally-run businesses that reflect our local character - the
S&J, Old Town Pets, Dumms, the Little Giant, the Calvert House, Yoga
Space, Franklin's, the Latino markets on Kenilworth (somebody help me
here - I like them, but can't remember their names!)

(4) The diversity! We've got it all here, and even though that's hard
at times, it's also healthy! I mean diversity in lots of realms:
cultural, ethnic, architectural, careers, hobbies & special
interests... what areas of diversity do you like? Add to my list!

(5) Our proximity to Washington DC. Where else in the country do we
have access to all these free museums? This doesn't differentiate
Riverdale Park from other communities around the beltway, but it is
something I love about living here.

(6) Public transportation options: Metro & MARC. This makes it easy
if I don't feel like driving or parking downtown.

(7) Our proximity to the University of Maryland. There's so much the
University has to offer - we just need to take advantage of it.
Something I've really been amazed by is the high quality of the
music, dance, and theater productions at the Clarice B. Smith
Performing Arts Center.

(8) Our town government. Our mayor, council, administration, police &
public works departments work hard to keep our town a fun, safe, and
attractive place to live. I'm really grateful to each of them for
their hard work. None of them have an easy job - other threads on
this list are testimony to how tough it is - but they devote their
time and energy to our town, and I, for one, am really grateful to them.

Those are just a few that pop into my head. Add to my list - but
remember - let's keep it positive!

-Sarah