[RP TownTalk] alternative gift fair this weekend

Alice Ewen Walker alice at ewenwalker.com
Sat Dec 8 01:17:46 UTC 2007

All -

I'm really looking forward to this weekend's holiday market in Town
Center (and I'm thankful for Jim Coleman, a person who makes me love
this community...)  As you're out shopping this weekend for gifts, you
may want to swing by the Alternative Gift Fair below too.

- Alice

-----------

 This is just a reminder that the first annual Hyattsville Alternative
Gift Fair will be this Sunday at Franklin's from 2-5pm. If you've got
people on your shopping list who have everything they need - and who
don't need more stuff - this event will meet all your gift-giving
needs. At each of the  booths, you'll find charities with gifts "for
sale". For the price of a tie, for example, you can buy pajamas for a
kid in a homeless shelter. Or for the price of a CD you can buy food
rations for an anti-poaching patrol in Rwanda working to save
gorillas. You'll find more than 20 gifts, ranging from $10 to $66,
that work to reduce hunger, improve literacy, empower at-risk
children, create sustainable micro-enterprise, increase health
awareness, protect our environment.

..and more.

When you buy an alternative gift this Sunday, you'll receive a gift
card insert that describes the gift you made in honor of a family
member or friend. We make sure to invite a wide range of causes
because we want you to be able to find gifts that match the particular
interests and passions of all the people on your shopping list. You
can find a list of participants and gifts on the wiki at
http://hyattsville.wetpaint.com/page/Alternative+Gift+Fair?t=anon

The event is co-sponsored by Alternative Gifts of Greater Washington,
Hyattsville Nurturing Moms and HOPE. We'll have a few light
appetizers, kids' activities and a special shopping list geared for
kids.  If you'd like to read a recent Gazette article about the event,
go to:

http://www.gazette.net/stories/112907/hyatnew180507_32363.shtml

Thanks, all. Hope to see you there!

--