[RP TownTalk] Online shopping is green!

Dannielle Glaros dmglaros at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 03:17:52 UTC 2007

While it is true that online shopping is green, shopping online does
not necessarily help the local economy.  Money that is spent in the
community is more likely to stay in the community.  If we want more
local businesses, they need our support otherwise they will not
exist. We have some great local businesses nearby that don't take too
long too visit.  Here are a few to consider that are less than 1 mile
from my house.  All are bikeable, some are walkable.

Old Town Pet Shop (Riverdale Park Town Center)  ---Great collection
of fish, reptiles and birds as well as supplies for cats and dogs.
Aunt Emily's Dolls (Riverdale Park Town Center)--Collectables and
dolls for little girls
Franklin's (Rt 1 Hyattsville)--Kids toys and eclectic gifts for adults
Mystic Water Soap (Riverdale Park Farmer's Market)---handmade spa-
style soaps.  Contact Dwight Holmes for more details.
Profussions of Glass (Riverdale Park Farmers Market, http://
www.profusionsofglass.com/)--handmade glass jewelry.  If only we
could have you in a building :(.
Vertigo Books (Rt 1 College Park)-- An independent bookstore with
reasonable prices--kids and adult books.  Check out their frequent
reader card.  Hint: park at fedex kinkos and walk to their location
Italian Market at Three Brothers (Kenilworth Ave)--great cheeses,
meats, pastas, breads, and olive oils.  A mini-gourmet market right
in the neighborhood.  Ok, this one may be slightly more than 1 mile.

All of these businesses need our support.  I know it is real easy to
purchase online, but if we keep purchasing online we will lose our
independent businesses.  I'm guilty myself, but I have pledged to buy
more things locally.  Sometimes that means it costs a little more,
sometimes not (I've found some great hardback books on sale at
Vertigo for gifts.)

Have a Merry Christmas!

Dannielle
4800 Sheridan St