[RP TownTalk] Traffic Concerns

Lou King lking at knob.com
Thu Feb 1 20:14:15 UTC 2007

Andrew,
I live between East and West Beale Cr.  One set of commuters are from Rt
1 - Queensbury - East Beale - 410 every afternoon.
Opening West Beale (now as apposed to waiting until Wakovia Project is
done) would get those cutting the Rt1/410 corner out of the residential
area and behind the businesses on Rt 1. I think if you look at the West
Beale/410 intersection you will see if the barriers are removed it is
not a sharp right turn.

An other set of commuters are from Rt 1 - Queensbury (Riverdale/Oliver
to Rhode Island?) across the tracks and on ...
The real problem effecting this issue becomes  the fact that  Queensbury
Rd and  East-West Hw (410) are the only  ways  across the tracks from
the Baltimore Ave bridge  in Hyattsville to Paint Branch Pkwy in College
Park. Fixing the Rt 1/410 intersection is the final answer but in the
mean time...

Starting with making Lafayette one-way North between Riverdale and
Queensbury  - this addresses the problems Rob identified of people
turning right onto the tracks.  Looking at Queensbury between Natoli Pl
and the firehouse (48th).

Queensbury one-way West does not solve the firehouse problem in the
morning and would force east bound Queensbury traffic onto Rittenhouse.
I don't think that is an answer.

Queensbury one-way East solves the firehouse problem in the morning. But
with Lafayette one-way,  all the traffic goes past the firehouse in the
afternoon. I suppose a firetruck could clear the intersection of
Queensbury and 48th. People that live on that part of Queensbury would
have to drive around the block to get home.

Rob's Lafayette suggestion addresses a problem.  The only down side (I
see) is that those that live in the Lafayette - Oliver St area may have
to drive around the block.

I don't see any real gain in making Queensbury one-way. One-way east
answers the same problem that the current closing in the morning does.

None of this makes "room" for 120 new residences at Dumm's corner. But
we can't wait for the Rt1/410 fix.

Lou