[RP TownTalk] Trolley Line Video this Sat Feb 3, 3 pm

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Fri Feb 2 06:52:30 UTC 2007

A reminder that we are showing a movie clip from the late 1950s of a
trolley car rolling through Hyattsville, Riverdale Park and College Park.
The movie clip is a delightful quick peek into our past (just 15 minutes long).

We hope to turn this abandoned trolley line into a hiker-biker trail
from Hyattsville thru Riverdale Park connecting with the existing
College Park Trolley Trail. This will be the 1st ever truly pedestrian
friendly connection between our town centers. This could expand our
sense of community and it will be a fantastic transportation asset,
providing thousands of people with simple, fast and pleasant walking
and biking access to the Metro and Marc stations.

Here is a map of the route thru RP:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=665568

After the movie there will be a short 10-minute Q&A, then we'll take a
short walk (weather permitting) and identify some landmarks from the
film and see where this hiker-biker trail might run. Come dressed for
the outdoor hike. The whole event will take less than an hour.

What: A late 1950s movie clip of a trolley car rolling through our towns.
Weather permitting we will take a walk along the abandoned line.

Where: S&J Restaurant in Riverdale Park Town Center,  6108 Rhode Island
Ave and Queensbury Rd. (at the railroad crossing).

When: Saturday, Feb 3, 2007, 3 p.m.

Why: Fun - and to build support for turning this abandoned trolley line
into a hiker-biker trail.

Dress is very casual - weekend hike-in-the-woods casual. No RSVP needed.

Please pass this invite along to anyone that might be interested.

I hope to see you there, this Saturday (Feb 3) at 3 pm. S&J.

Rob Oppenheim, Ward One Councilman