[RP TownTalk] Traffic etc

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 12:30:09 UTC 2007

I agree with you 100 percent Audrey; I have nothing
against development and change that are well planned
out, but it seems all too often we see stories on the
news about communities with rapid growth and then
things like traffic, etc., are addressed after the
fact.  About the safest type of pedestrian crossing
I've seen in the area is that new one you were talking
about between the College Park Metro and the FDA
building on River Road, the one that lights up and is
VERY visible.  Something like that MIGHT be a help in
the congested areas here in town; however, there's a
fairly visible crosswalk AND stop sign at S&'J's, and
people still sail on through. Too, I live at Lafayette
Avenue and as has been noted in previous posts,
Lafayette has been getting more and more traffic, esp.
at rush hour; and with the new development on River
Road and here in town, the traffic will only get
worse.  I really don't want to be living right next to
a major through-way, myself.  If nothing else, it will
be almost impossible to safely cross Lafayette to walk
to the bus stops or up to Route 1.  As I said, I don't
mind change, but as Audrey says, you have to be very
careful what you wish for - one of the main reasons I
moved to this town was the neighborhood atmosphere,
where you COULD go for a walk without risking life and
limb.  Afraid I don't have any easy answers to the
problems, but folks, please - let's go slowly and
carefully in the matter of development in our lovely
town; we have too much at stake.

I have been reading  all the emails about the traffic
problems.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if
you think its bad now  - just wait.  High density
brings traffic.  It sure would be nice to believe that
we would be a pedestrian community but I don't believe
that's going to happen.  If you look around, you will
find proof of that.  Only place I see pedestrian
friendly and people walking are on those island where
you have to get there by boat and there are no cars,
just golf carts.  If you want to see what its going to
be like around here, go over to Alexandria, Tysons
Corner....there you go and be sure to get there in
rush hour.  Be careful what you wish for.......

"People are making great suggestions but its like
putting a Band-Aid on major surgery.  A new turn lane
on the highway won't solve it either.  In order to
protect pedestrians, if any venture out there, is the
cross walk with the signs (very visible signs) so that
drivers are reminded that pedestrians have the right
of way and its a law.  You see these in Silver Spring
and Takoma Park.  The new thing is the cross walk
lights when a pedestrian is crossing.  That one is
near metro just around the corner from us.  We might
as well get used to the traffic.  It is going to
multiply.  More people = More traffic!

Audrey"