[RP TownTalk] TO ALAN, BRUCE, MAYOR ARCHER RE: Pete's Buildings--Making Us Educated Residents

Iris McLaurin elsiegoh at rcn.com
Mon Feb 12 02:24:33 UTC 2007

Alan
The information you shared is very, very insightful, and reflects knowledge
of information and interpretation of information that I am certain that many
of us who are trying to understand the process do not have.  Those comments
and explanation of comments helped me greatly.  Thank you.

Bruce,
Similarly, I appreciate your suggestion to "get together" with Pete.  You
said you have reviewed Pete's plan.  I do not know your background or
credentials, but clearly, if you have a few ideas, you have far more
relevant professional knowledge of what and how to "review" the plans than I
(and probably most residents).  I wish I could make meaningful
recommendations, rather than just instinctive support---but I am clueless to
knowledge of factual advantages/disadvantages of this type of community
development and the long term impact to the community.

Gentlemen,
It seems the Town Council meetings may not be the proper forum where those
of us who are earnestly trying to understand "Community Redevelopment 101"
can ask the level of elementary questions that we need to ask to become
informed in order to make--the best informed-- short-term and long-term
decisions.  I have tried by visiting the National Building Museum and
querying one or two local architects and urban planners. But I do not know
enough of the nuts and bolts of this process to ask the intelligent
questions to obtain the relevant answers.  The Rockville clothing store
Sims' advertising slogan is, "An Educated Consumer Is Our Best Customer."
In conversations I have had with Mayor Archer, I am confident he could
prefer and concur that "An Educated Resident Is Riverdale's Best Community
Investment."  I support Pete's initial development proposal from an
instinctive position that it would be good for Riverdale. Although I can not
tell you what "good" is.    How to "advise" Pete/Mayor/Council to the best
final plan---I know nothing, except that it will be in my back yard, so I
care very deeply and I want it to be "good" for our beloved Historical
Riverdale Park.

Mayor Archer,
If they would consent, WHAT IF Alan/Bruce/Mike Herman (representing County
Executive's Office)/ Dineene O'Conner  --would consider organizing and
moderating a "Community Redevelopment 101 Workshop" for residents who want
to become more knowledgeable of the "process" and the "impacts" of such
projects on Historical Riverdale Park, on Prince George's County, of
critical importance---on the individual resident?   I have a few ideas on
topics for discussion (as the ideal candidate for Development for Dummies)
so that the emphasis is not a workshop to position the proposal favorably or
non-favorably, but an educational workshop on the
process/impacts/alternatives on community development/redevelopment.  You
amiably demonstrate your strong position on consensus building.  When Pete's
next round of plans is presented, wouldn't it be an accomplishment to have
"educated residents" present, capable of commenting/questioning in an
informed manner? Like many, I am praying for consensus on the project.  Like
many, I pray it happens in a way that we can live with it-with a good
conscience.   As Ward 4 Councilman Lawrence Taylor has so eloquently stated
about those who love Historical Riverdale Park,  "our hearts beat the same."

PS I owe my very hard-working and devoted Ward 1 Councilmember Rob Oppenheim
an apology-my last Town Council meeting comments singled him out and may
have suggested that I felt he was non-caring. I know that is not the case.
I did not agree with his position, but I certainly do know that he
demonstrates continuously and unconditionally that he is a deeply caring
human being.  Just this week a city servant said to me that resident
services is at the core of your heart and your reason for serving as a
Council member.  Rob, I hope that you would accept my public and sincere
apology.

Iris McLaurin-Southall
Oliver Street