[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 7, Issue 18

marc stauffer marc.stauffer at verizon.net
Mon Feb 12 16:03:23 UTC 2007

Iris' suggestion for a Development for Dummies Meeting:

Thanks Iris for thinking of a very good suggestion.

  I agree that such a meeting could have a positive impact on how the
real estate development process works in Riverdale Park.  I think it
would be very helpful to have a meeting that speaks to issues of
development in town in a general way, not focused on Pete's and Sons
project or any other particular project.  We have a number of good
resources available to us (as you mention) that could help add some
vital information to the debate.  I also feel that a meeting based on
town development in general would help avoid the pitfalls of focusing
too much on any one project.  I do not think that any one of us,
except for those directly involved in a project, fully understand all
the issues at play in any one particular project.  However, there
are, I believe, many general issues and concerns surrounding real
estate development at this scale that are common to all projects.
Perhaps here is where we as the Town could have a fruitful discussion
on what the Town is seeking and how plausible it is to think that
development projects can meet these desires.

I fully support the MUTC document and the MUTC Committee review
process.  However, as has been mentioned a few times by Dineene
O'Connor, and others who sit on the committee, the MUTC guidelines do
not include any economic analysis component.  I believe that a few of
the projects that have come before the Town and MUTC Committee of
late (Dumm's Corner and Jey's Auto to be specific) have been
struggling to deal with the economic realities of making a project
happen and how to mesh those realities with the MUTC regulations.  I
don't suggest that any parts of the MUTC Guidelines be rewritten,
rethought , or scrapped.  But, I do think that there is a vital piece
that is missing from the equation and that a Town-wide discussion
about as many facets of real estate development in Riverdale Park as
we can muster would be very helpful.

Lastly, to add a friendly amendment to Iris' suggestion:  perhaps
this type of meeting is something that could be organized and
facilitated by our Economic Development consultant.  It seems to me
that any real estate development in Riverdale Park is clearly an
integral part of the Town's economic development.  And if such a
meeting is organized and facilitated by a "3rd party" agent who is
not beholden to any particular view (except helping the town achieve
an economic development plan, in her case) or does not hold any
particular interest or authority, we might be able to achieve a very
frank and candid discussion about a wide range of  the issues being
raised by real estate development.

Best,

Marc

marc stauffer