[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 7, Issue 18

Alice Ewen Walker alice.ewen.walker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 00:40:17 UTC 2007

It would be great to have a 3rd party analysis like Marc suggests.

We asked EYA about what went into their calculations to add 38,000 sf
of retail to their development in Hyattsville. EYA said that the 450+
units of residential they are building will contribute only marginally
to the health of the retail on the site. Instead, (at least in their
business model), retail is an amenity that adds to the selling
price/desirability of the residential properties. To sustain the
retail for that development, they are really looking at the customers
in the 2 sq mile area and at the traffic of Route 1.

Our community has come a long way by achieving the zoning overlay and
by defining the intent, appearance, and qualities that we desire in
future development. Where I would argue we need fortitude is in
sticking to the plan and letting it work for us. The zoning has been
in place two years - not very long at all. These early days of its
application are important and precedent-setting.

When I look at the EYA development on Route 1, it really seems to me
that it will have a profound impact on the area - bold,
transformative, positive for everyone near it.  If the town grants a
height variance for the Dumm's project, I hope it will be because this
project will deliver that level of quality and impact.

It is all in the details, which have not yet been drawn up for the
Dumm's project. The town is in the position to drive hard on these
details, in exchange for granting a final approval.

- Alice