[RP TownTalk] Question on street clearing

Gerard Kiernan gerardkiernan at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 14 18:10:37 UTC 2007

To the residents of Riverdale Park,

Section 57-24 of the Code gives you 24 hours from the end of the
accumulation (i.e., stuff stops falling from the sky) to clear the sidewalk
adjacent to your property.  The fine for not doing so is $100.

A little history is in order.  The Town survived for 75 years without this
ordinance.  It was introduced by me in March, 1995 after several major
snowstorms that winter. My reason for doing it was a loss of civility and
neighborliness by the property owners along our major pedestrian streets.
There were a number of homes, especially on Riverdale Road, who after each
of those big snows, dug themselves very nice paths directly from their front
doors to the street curb, or from their front doors to their driveways which
had been cleared to the street.  But, they didn't touch the sidewalks.  As a
result, people attempting to get to the MARC station or to the bus routes on
Kenilworth Avenue and US1 had to walk in the roadway creating a safety
hazard.

Please clear your sidewalk.

Thank you.

Gerry Kiernan