[RP TownTalk] Question on street clearing

David Hiles hilesd at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 15 05:14:45 UTC 2007

My messages to this list are being moderated because I was judged to
have violated the posting standards.
************************************

Not so long ago, the problem of the sidewalks of some publicly owned
parcels not being shoveled was raised during a council discussion of
how to make Riverdale Park a more walkable town.  There were several
areas in town that were identified as being in the unshoveled category.
  Some are on paths to Metro, others to the MARC station or to the
elementary school.  The school system is completely tuned into clearing
its property, and it does a good job.   The other public lots could be
shoveled by the town, but the consensus was that this activity was not
covered by the existing budget.  About the time that discussion
concluded, the council stopped working and started campaigning.  Then a
new council came in and had to pass a budget under a time crunch.

Unshoveled public lots is still is a problem.  I walk to the MARC
station myself, sometimes unsafely down the middle of Lafayette if
conditions demand it.  One way to fix this town dis-amenity would be to
add funding to Public Works to cover this work.   But again, it is
almost time for the next election.  Sure would be nice if we had a
council whose members served a staggered set of four year terms.