[RP TownTalk] Ice storm clean up

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 12:02:05 UTC 2007

First of all, to those people who DID clear their
walks of ice or at least put down sand, a big THANK
YOU.  However, if you're a full time pedestrian like I
am, it was still extremely dangerous walking around
town the past few days.  If you live on the north side
of East West Highway (Sheridan, Ravenswood) and wanted
to walk to, say, Route 1, it was tough going; the
sidewalk on Lafayette from the East West Highway
overpass that goes around to the war memorial hadn't
been cleared and there's no sidewalk on the other side
of the street.  That meant pedestrians had to walk in
the street and since that part of Lafayette is a
curve, it made for a dangerous situation.  Once you
crossed Lafayette to head up to Route 1, there was
nowhere to walk, as the MARC parking lot on the east
side of the railroad tracks had only been cleared for
about 10 feet (I guess that lot is MARC's
responsibility?)   So there I was, having to walk in
the street until I got well up on Queensbury Road
where some people and businesses had cleared their
walks.  As it WAS an ice storm, I realize that our
public works people were probably overloaded with
work; and while it might not be practical to
plow/shovel every single inch of public sidewalks,
isn't there some way that sand, salt, or something
could be put on public sidewalks to at least provide a
bit of traction to walkers?   Too, may I also ask one
question about the law regarding clearing sidewalks -
does that go for unoccupied houses and businesses as
well?  I was just wondering, as the walks in front of
those 2 vacant houses near the town center (across
Queensbury from S&J's) weren't cleared.  Anyhow -
again, thanks to all of those people who did clear
their walks, we walkers appreciate your efforts.