[RP TownTalk] Immoderate moderation

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 16:42:29 UTC 2007

> As someone who's fairly new to the site, can I ask -
> is a person put on "moderation" because the moderator
> thinks that person is saying something wrong, or
> because another poster has reported him/her, or both?

As spouse of the moderator, I'd like to respond "unofficially", as I
know the moderator is not able to spend time responding to posts
during the day today.

The answer to your question is that a person is moderated if they
violate the posting guidelines.

A complaint from another list member generates a review of the
offending post, and if it has voilated the posting guidelines, the
person is moderated.

Sometimes no one complains - people just start signing off the list
during a particular discussion. That would also generate a review of
recent posts, as happened here.

To clarify: it's not about saying something "wrong" - we all have
different opinions, and I know the moderator (and I) think it is very
important that all voices are heard. It is about being respectful of
others, even if their opinion differs from your own.

Best regards,
Sarah Wayland