[RP TownTalk] Lets Walk this weekend (and look ahead to the Trolley movie in Feb)

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Fri Jan 19 18:13:27 UTC 2007

Want to walk for fun and exercise this weekend?
Some of us are doing just that.

I leave home at 4 p.m. and get to Town Center at the Marc
railroad station at about 4:05 and wait a few minutes for others to
show up. Join us there, or at the park a few minutes later. We enter
the park at 51st Avenue & Somerset Road and turn left (north). You
can join us pretty much anywhere along there.

I plan on doing this walk Saturday and Sunday this weekend 1/20/07.
Please join us. No need to RSVP, but it is easier to hook up if we
know to expect you.

Trolley Line Walk - Feb 3

50 years ago, a movie was made about the Washington Streetcars.
It shows a trolley rolling up R.I. Ave, through Hyattsville, Riverdale
and College Park in the late 1950s.

Come see this short, 15-minute glimpse into our past on Saturday,
Feb 3, 2007, 3 p.m. at the S&J Restaurant, town center,
6108 Rhode Island Ave and Queensbury Road.

After the viewing, weather permitting, we'll take a walk and identify
some landmarks from the film.

In the movie, we "catch" the streetcar (line #82) where it turns
onto Rhode Island Ave from 4th street in the district. Here the
trolley runs on tracks up the middle of Route One. We skip
forward to see a few of the sites, such as the railroad underpass, the
"terminal cafe" in Berwyn Heights, and a glimpse of downtown
Hyattsville. From there the trolley follows along beside the
railroad tracks into Riverdale Park, where you get a glimpse of our
town center from the late 1950s - including the S&J restaurant
building where we will be viewing the movie . Then we see the trolley
continuing north thru Riverdale and into College Park.

I will, of course, send another email to TownTalk about this just before Feb 3.

Take care
Rob Oppenheim
Ward One Councilman, Riverdale Park