[RP TownTalk] Traffic issues and opportunities

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 19:10:28 UTC 2007

Neighbors,

I'd like to share some thoughts and information with you on the topic of
traffic.

First, and most timely, Councilman Oppenheim and myself will be testifying
this evening before the County Council Transportation Committee which is
holding a hearing at College Park City Hall.  Please be encouraged to join
us.  Among the items we will be requesting is 1. assistance to improve the
safety of the Rail crossing, 2. the creation of a hiker biker trail along
the old trolley route, and 3) improve the interchange at Route 1 and 410.

More related to discussion this morning on Town Talk, there will be a Town
Public Safety meeting on February 28th at 7:30.  The specific topic will be
managing traffic along the 4700 block of Queensbury.  Particular attention
will be given to maintaining a quick response time for the fire department
and preventing backups that could produce a rail accident. Among the
possible changes that will be discussed is expanding the hours/days that
make Queensbury a defacto one-way street.  This meeting would be a good
venue to put out other possible changes in the area that would improve the
safety of pedestrians and walkers alike.

Lastly, I'd like to share some thoughts on "mitigation" of new development
projects. All new projects of any size at all have to have a traffic impact
study done, and if there is even minor impact on failing or near failing
interchanges, mitigation work is required at the expense of the
development.  This is true of Dumm's Corner project just as it is of the EYA
and Wakovia projects.  Certainly pedestrian safety is a significant part of
keeping interchanges from failing.

Keeping traffic from overwhelming us is critical to maintain quality of
life.  Having people come to the area and live in the area is the basis for
a market, which is an absolute prerequisite for reviving our town center.
How to balance the two competing concerns is the trick, and I and the
council need your thoughtful input in order to make it turn out good for our
community.

Best wishes,

Vern
--