[RP TownTalk] Fwd: Street Sense introduction

Regina regina at kreger.net
Sun Jul 1 18:05:57 UTC 2007

--- In HOPE_in_Hyattsville at yahoogroups.com, "Kaukab Jhumra Smith"
<kaukab at ...> wrote:

Dear neighbors,

Have you ever bought a Street Sense paper from a vendor in a yellow
vest in downtown DC? If so, your dollar went toward a great cause --
you helped support a nonprofit newspaper that focuses on homelessness
and poverty in the Washington area, and even better, you helped a
homeless person earn an income with dignity and self-respect. If
you've usually walked past such vendors, I urge you to please take a
second look. Legitimate vendors of Street Sense wear IDs and yellow
vests, and they do not panhandle. They buy the newspapers for 25 cents
from the Street Sense office and sell them for a dollar each to
passersby. For many, this provides the stepping stone they need to get
off the streets, find paid lodging and land a better-paying job.

I'm a Hyattsville resident and recently took over as editor of Street
Sense. I'm not writing to ask for donations, though those are always
appreciated at a nonprofit that mostly runs on volunteer help. I'm
writing to request your help in any of the following ways:

- passing on story ideas or news tips to koki at ... or info at ... so we
can improve our coverage of homelessness and poverty in the suburbs
- volunteering your time as a writer, editor, Webmaster, IT person or
generalist
- buying a paper for a dollar every two weeks from a friendly
neighborhood vendor
- spreading the word about Street Sense to family, friends and coworkers

You can find us at www.streetsense.org and our TV spinoff, currently
under development by a cast and crew of homeless individuals, at
www.streetsense.tv. Please contact me if you have any questions or
comments.

Thanks very much,
Koki