[RP TownTalk] Sexual predators in the area

kathy galleher kgalleher at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 16:40:54 UTC 2007

For whatever it is worth, I am cautious about focusing too much on sex offender lists and websites.  It creates a false sense that we "know" who is dangerous.   As our town's recent case demonstrates, the majority of people who sexually exploit children and teens have never been discovered or adjudicated. So background checks don't flag them, and offender registries don't list them, but they could be living or working next door.  I am a big advocate of everyone being attentive to the behaviors of adults around teens and kids, educating kids about appropriate boundaries, and not being afraid to ask questions if the behavior of an adult seems out of line. And, since I am a therapist, I think making treatment available for those who need it is a "must", because jail time  alone does not rehabilitate this problem.   I think these keep us safer as a community.  Just my two cents.
Kathy