[RP TownTalk] taxes

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Mon Jun 4 20:17:52 UTC 2007

> Roland, do you have any broadbrush numbers on this - would be
> interesting to see the relative magnitudes

It has to be broadbrush when something has not happened yet.  I'm
really just looking at square footage to get an idea.  M-Square is a 2
million square-foot office park oriented toward high-tech business and
research.

What most people call "Town Center" (6202-6212 Rhode Island Ave) is
less than 25,000 square feet.

Obviously the tax revenue potential of M-Square dwarfs that of Town
Center -- it is 100 times bigger than Town Center.  Guessing the
revenue is complicated by the involvement of public entities in
M-Square, but assuming our tax deal gives us fair payments that match
what we would have received from a purely private office park, the
tangible property tax on high-tech businesses should have a higher
yield than on the type of retail operations we might see in Town
Center.

Now, one single nice business (Riggs/PNC) brought in $75,000 per year
to the town.  A single nice house might bring in $2000/year.

I'd be interested to know what square footage PNC occupied at 5700
Rivertech Ct, so as to roughly estimate commercial tax revenues per
square foot occupied.  If PNC took up half of that building, then we
collected about $1/square foot in taxes.

That rate would lead to a ballpark guess $1,000,000/year in tax
revenues from M-Square, on the assumption that half gets built in
College Park and half in Riverdale Park.

Maybe we could get half of that amount in revenues from the Cafritz
development -- I don't know.

A more informed person to ask about revenue numbers is Gerard Kiernan.