[RP TownTalk] budget spreadsheet, revised through May 31

Lou King lking at knob.com
Tue Jun 5 20:03:59 UTC 2007

Alice and all,
  Sorry for the delay but I have some questions about about the
spreadsheets Alice provided.

1. PD  3.7-2 line 1 Officerers' Salaries == "Reduction to overtime and
salaries based on current vacancies that will take time to fill."

Depending on your math, I understand this logic, but I do not agree with
the results.  To keep the numbers simple assume 10 officer slots but
only 8 assigned.  Yes, salaries/overtime will, on average be only 80% of
the full complement, BUT service will also be only 80%.  If on the other
hand you use level of service provided to the public vs hours paid, the
amount of overtime alloted to the officers on staff will INCREASE to
cover the missing two officers.

There is no indication in the notes that an increase in overtime is
being considered to hold up the level service provided while the empty
slots are being filled. Was this included in the thinking or does empty
officer slots translate directly to less service.  In light if the many
security issues/events discussed on this form, reducing the
salaries/overtime pay available for the police does not sound like it
meets the needs of the public.  I see two options a) the Chief has
indicated that he can't spend the monies he proposed or b) someone is
pinching pennies at the  potential cost of service.

2. Revenue Proposed.  I assume that the council has not gotten to this
part yet.  When you do I "expect" to see the same type of "reality" here
as with the expenses. For example, you cut budgeted line items to match
actuals from last year. So on the revenue side are you going to cut
proposed to match last years actuals?  For example line 2.23 Town
Business Licenses: Proposed is $35,000 the same as last year. However,
actuals are only $24,835.

I know cutting budgeted expenses helps balance the budget and cutting
expected revenue does not.  But shouldn't the same logic be used on both
sides of the equation?

Boy am I glad I'm not in town.  I could really obsess on this.

Lou King