[RP TownTalk] Onslaught of Opossums in Neighborhood

bruce.wernek at mindspring.com bruce.wernek at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 8 11:29:06 UTC 2007

Iris

I have some familiarity with opossums.  On one occasion near the intersection of the north branch of the Anacostia and Riverdale Rd, the dogs found a youngster and were attempting to kill it.  I ran over and drove the dogs off.  The young opossum made his stand between my legs as I kept the dogs at bay.  When I bent down to get a closer look, he snarled and beared his teeth in typical opossum style, but did not attack.  He was inches from both of my legs.  Eventually, he made a break for the nearest tree for safe harbor.

My experience with opossums is that they are slow, ungainly, and only aggressive when cornered.  Even when cornered, they take a defensive posture.  Racoons on the other hand can be very aggressive under the right circumstances.  I would suggest that you keep your trash can lids on, keep your distance, and ignore them.  I think it's a gift to have them in your yard.  They were there long before your house was built.  After all, there's not many places for them to live in the city.  I suspect they are attracted to some food source, so check with you neighbors to make sure they have their trash can lids on as well.

I think it's great to have nature up close and personal.  Tell the opossums to come over to my place.  I'll be happy to have them.

Bruce